It’s nice to try new things. Last weekend it was needle felting thanks to a class at the library.
I’m not gonna lie, it’s a little violent. Several people in the class really seemed to be getting out some aggression. The idea is to mat the fibers together with a sharp, barbed needle. Just lovely. And you have to pay careful attention not to needle felt your finger. I think I got myself once, which wasn’t too bad considering my coordination sometimes.
At first I got a little carried away with making beads. It was fun mixing colors and trying to make them as dense and round as possible. Then the flying saucer (far right) happened. Not my best work. I figured it was time to move on, and I got the idea to make a saguaro cactus to use as a pincushion. I really kind of like it. I just need to figure out what to use for a base…
How cool is this?! The fabulous folks at Robert Kaufman are making up my dear Sessoms out of their latest Fusions line, and it’s looking great! Can’t wait to see it in person in just a few weeks at Quilt Market.
I’m starting to think that stress is a dirty word, and wondering if it would be more productive just to take it out of my vocabulary. Spring Quilt Market is fast approaching and I’m finding the need to keep the pressure in check. Good thing sewing helps.
Here’s a sneak peak at some of my market prep. I’m loving the peach lately.
…and just in case the sewing doesn’t work, there’s always this.
Remember this weekend project from a little while ago?
Here’s an update.
She’s all quilted, bound, and photographed. The orderly 1/4″ quilting, via my walking foot, gives it a nice texture without competing with the prints. I don’t always bind with the border fabric, but I liked the idea of keeping this one consistent. Of course, I had to break it up with a couple fabric scraps, and I am shocked that the hands came out perfectly positioned. Wish I could say I planned that.
Sometimes it takes me a little while to photograph things after I’ve finished them. It’s just something that I tend to put off. Sound familiar to anyone else? Last week, I finally tackled photographing a stack of recently finished projects. Here’s one of them.
I made this block (from my Grove pattern) at an event in Vero a few weeks ago. After some thought, I decided that I kind of liked it all by itself, rather than making it into something larger. I’ve been into little projects lately. They are great for trying out new ideas. Plus they make fun little pieces of art–and gifts too.
I liked the idea of using my art quilt stamps to create my own fabric for the border. In doing this, I realized one benefit to printing my own fabric was that I did not have to fussy-cut my directional print to work out in my project. I just cut the strips for the border first and then stamped the print in the direction that I wanted them to go. So now they match.
I’ve also been really into some straight-ish quilting.
And here was the original sans stamping, borders, and quilting. It always amazes me to see how much each part of the process affects the way it looks and feels.