Finally, some pics from Market.
But first, I’ve got some new stuff.
+ Two new patterns, Focal (a new paper piecing project, on left) and Botanics (new to my Slow Sewing Studio, on right and in the chairs).
+ New fabric, Botanics, Botanics Kona coordinates, and Widecreen (more pics to come soon).
+ Also in my booth was a new way of seeing all of my stuff. In every other booth that I’ve had, I’ve displayed my pattern line in basically the same way. I’ll hang each pattern on the wall somehow, usually in a row and usually with clothespins. The system is easy, simple and effective, but personally, I was getting a little bored with it. Plus each new pattern ends up taking more and more space. So I got the idea to do one block from each of my patterns using Botanics and their coordinating Kona solids. (An excuse for more sewing…) And then I also got the bright idea to create a color gradient to unite what could otherwise potentially become visual vomit.
No big deal, right?
Well, easy was maybe not the best word to describe the process. It was fun for sure, but also a bit of a challenge to get all of the fabrics, blocks, colors and placement to work out. I started with a colored pencil drawing to map out generally what needed to happen. Then over the course of at least a week, I laid out each block and used scraps to carefully mark how each block should shape up. And now that it’s done, I’ve got grand plans to make a big quilt with it. Ah. I can enjoy it forever.
And last, I thought it’d be fun to throw up some pics of the booth coming together. Set-up is always a bit chaotic with all the boxes everywhere, freight filling up the aisles and then the wild fork-lift drivers…I’m surprised no one gets hurt. Then there are sometimes surprises, too. This year I was right next to a wall, which made building a wall next to it an impetus for creative thinking. But we managed and nothing fell down before the end of the show.
Walls are up. (Let’s hope they stay that way.)
Botanics and Focal starting to find their places.